For my birthday last weekend me and some of my closest girlfriends ventured to the Hunter Valley- or as it is better known as amongst the locals, “wine country”. The Hunter Valley is home to more than 120 wineries, restaurants, spa treatments and a few festivals throughout the year. From Sydney, the Hunter Valley is about a 2 hour drive. It’s a really easy drive, and you pass over the Hawkesbury River which is beautiful!
What to do-
- Wine tasting- A lot of the vineyards offer free wine tastings.
- Hop on Hop off- The best way to get to as many wine tastings as possible, whilst not having to worry about being over the legal alcohol limit, is through the ihop wine tour bus. They pick up and drop off to your accommodation too.
- Food tasting- Because what goes better with wine than cheese? Stop off at the Hunter Valley Cheese Factory. I can vouch that this was delicious!
- Air ballooning- If you’re after a super romantic and unforgettable trip to the Hunter Valley, go on an early sunrise hot air balloon ride with Balloon Aloft. You’ll ride over the Hunter Valley vineyards, then afterwards you’ll receive a champagne breakfast at Peterson House Winery.
- Day spa- This is a perfect way to spend a girls weekend. If we had more time I would have loved to do this. Next time!
Where to stay-
There are a few different areas in the Hunter Region; Pokolbin, Cessnock, Rothbury, and Lovedale to name a few. Pokolbin is probably the most popular area to stay.
We chose to stay in a beautiful home in Cessnock. Check it out here. I could not recommend this place enough- I wish we could have stayed here another night as one was simply not enough. The place was wonderfully decorated, with four-poster beds and flowers in every room. They even had orange and lemon trees, a fire place, and a spa! It was perfect.